Sunday, November 22, 2009

Zach Koehler Blog Project


     This week I learned a lot about soil erosion. It was a fun week. I liked the labs the most. I learned lots of helpful things about soil erosion. One thing I learned was soil erosion can happen any where and it is very harmful. It gets in the water and can clog up fish's gills. I also learned that in certain places, the water has to have a certain level of turbidity in order for fish to survive. Soil erosion has many effects, but I now know ways to help prevent it. These lessons were important, because they taught us ways to prevent soil erosion. The lesson also taught us ways to recognize soil erosion.     
     We learned many vocabulary words. Some of them are:

1) Detachment- when pieces of soil break off
2) Transportation- when water carries away detached soil
3) Gully- small valley formed by water
4) Rill- small rivulet formed by water

     I had a question on soil erosion. What is the best method to prevent it?
Pvc pipe worked very good in our lab, but it would be hard to do that on a gaint area of land.

Heres a video on soil erosion:





This picture shows soil erosion.



6 comments:

  1. Nice video Zach. I used to watch Bill Nye in my eighth grade science class. Interesting blog! Emily :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome video!
    Now little kids can learn about soil erosion!
    Maybe now with the help of kids we can help stop soil erosion!!!


    Alex Stradford!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its great how you posted a Bill Nye video on the blog Zach. It will make it way more interesting to kids at a young age!

    Mike Corbishley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice video Zach. Bill Nye is a great way to teach kids about soil erosion. Jon C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uber video dude, and i also liked doing the labs.
    Alec G

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahaha awesome video... bill nye rocks. haha get it... rocks...

    -jak

    ReplyDelete