Sunday, November 22, 2009

Reflection by Alison

This past week was very interesting. I learn a lot about soil erosion and soil itself. I never would of thought that this would have been interesting or why we should even care about it. I would say the best part about learning about erosion were the rain box's. It made you really question if we could ever fix the problem. I also thought learning about sediment was very interesting. I just thought it was dirt and it didn't hurt the environment at all. I always thought if it was naturally put there it was ok.Testing the pH was also a lot of fun. It made me feel like a scientist in some way! But I have to say the best part was playing with that polyacrylamide. Watching the particles just separate amazed me for some reason. I love horticulture but this lesson made me respect it even more. 


vocabulary:
rill: a small brook usually caused by erosion of soil
detachment: when small pieces of soil break off from a big chunk of soil

turbidity: how clear water is
soil erosion: the movement of soil 
transport: the movement of soil particles after detachment occurs




questions:
if soil is the number one pollutant why are we more worried about car exhaust.
how could we really fix soil erosion without using materials that can hurt the environment in the long run? 
what are scientists currently doing to fix this issue?

pictures and video:
our group rain box


(video courtesy of youtube.com)

(photo courtesy of google.com)
Someone is testing the pH of the soil in their garden in this photo.

(g

No comments:

Post a Comment